hey, must be a devil between us

Tuesday 27 August 2013

 
 
Hi guys! It seems like forever since I actually got to sit and write out a proper post for you all...this summer has been so busy, but I'm all yours now for the foreseeable future so you never know, my punctuality might improve (I can dream right?) Anyway, after an incredibly hectic three weeks, my family and I went off to our annual summer holiday to south-west france for two weeks. For some unknown reason, this year was the first year I've ever actually needed a holiday...before, I've always just happily plodded along enjoying the sunshine, but this time I really had to just take my makeup off, slap on some sunscreen (factor 50 obviously...being a redhead and all) grab a book and just sit doing nothing. I've never enjoyed doing nothing before, but sitting in 30 degrees by the pool drinking sugar-free peach ice tea with a gorgeous view of the sunflower fields I felt happier and more content than I have done in years. Sometimes you really just need a break.
 
 
 
There is a monthly Saturday morning antique fair in the town near the house we were staying in, and so obviously I spent the whole morning trawling through all the gorgeous bric-a-brac and taking pictures of my favourite stalls and displays. Everything was so beautiful, and pretty much all in exquisite condition. Among lopsided baby dolls, fading comic books, ice skates and more I found probably the best thing I have ever come across in a market: a white porcelain jar about half a hand in height, with pale pink and green painted flowers decorating the front, where in black paint it said quite clearly 'Cocaine.' A cocaine jar. How fantastic is that?! You never find things like that in England. And before you get the wrong idea, I don't have an obsession with drug memorabilia or anything, I just love things like that that are so pretty and then have something not traditionally 'pretty' like cocaine written across the front. That and the fact it would make a fantastic pot to put sherbet or tic tacs in...just to scare the parents, you know the deal.
 
 
I spent basically my entire holiday in these short dungarees from Beyond Retro, which I cut into a dress shortly before I left. They are the comfiest things and so easy to wear as there is literally nothing they won't go over. My top is from the east end thrift store, and so ended up costing me less than a pound. Score.
In other news, I read five books whilst I was away: Other Voices Other Rooms, Lolita, A Clockwork Orange, The Catcher in the Rye and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. All five were fantastic (Lolita and OFOTCN especially) and reading that many was definitely an achievement for me (I used to read about three books per day but recently have barely managed to concentrate on one paragraph, let alone a whole novel) I'm gradually becoming a bookworm again and I love it.
 
 

On a bit of a sidenote, I was wondering if I could ask your opinions on what I should do for my etsy. I've been wanted to set one up for ages just to sell some of my clothes and little crafty things, however I haven't decided on what to make. I can do hand-painted or illustrated prints and postcards, photograph postcards/prints (my own photography), flower crowns or quirky pins and badges...what sort of things out of that list would you prefer me to sell? Or do you have any other suggestions?
 
ellie xo
 
REALLY COOL NOTE - One of my favourite vintage stores Beyond Retro asked me to do a summer edit for their website, and it is up on their blog now. I would totally love if you could check it out - I really enjoyed putting it together and their clothes are amazing (and really well-priced). Thanks!

19 comments:

  1. Oh my your holiday looked so lovely would be in heaven at the antique fair! Glad you had such a nice time and found pretty things.

    Awesome choices of books I'll have to check those titles out myself. I'll check out the retro store.
    Take care
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, love the effect of these photos!! What camera do you use & what do use use to edit?? I think you should definitely sell your photography on etsy, I'd be so happy to purchase some of it if you did!
    Rachael x
    Rachaeleeno | Beauty, Fashion & Thoughts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so so much!! These are all taken with a £7.99 disposable Kodak from snappy snaps, and I haven't edited them :) hehe I do love a cheap camera...and yay well hopefully I'll set an etsy up real soon!xx

      Delete
  3. I felt exactly the same when I went to Spain, it was my actual first proper 'holiday' to relax since I had worked so hard in college- I deserved it! I only managed to read one book which was The Shining. I would definitely like to read One flew over the cuckoos nest though as I've seen the film and it was really amazing. Lolita is another on my list- the film and book! To be honest I would start off by selling the thing you're most passionate about, the one thing you *really* enjoy making/producing.
    x

    www.everythingandamy.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the advice...also The Shining is a fantastic book isn't it?! One of my favourites! :D x

      Delete
  4. france! must have been amazing, i love france so much <3
    and these photos are just BEAUTIFUL, this creepy doll sitting on a chair huh~

    pigeongray.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it really was! and thankyou, ikr the dolls were creepy..there was a whole box full of mangled Barbie dolls that I couldn't get a photo of :( x

      Delete
  5. I think 'hand-painted or illustrated prints and postcards, photograph postcards/prints' would be lovely. :-)

    http://fickle-flower.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aw yay! I'll definitely get to work on some of them then! <3

      Delete
  6. I really like looking at antique things - so I really love the photographs you took at the anitque fair. I wish I could go there!

    colainscoral.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love vintage finds. Got a new follower here.

    mandyshareslife.blogspot.com
    Come visit me <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. really like your photos, especially the one with skates for some reason.
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thankyou so much! going to be doing prints of my pictures soon on etsy <3 xx

      Delete
  9. yeah we do! it's probably the highlight of my year hehe...and yes dolls creep me out so much. I was never a doll kind of person, I much preferred plastic dinosaurs for some reason?
    Thanks for the lovely comment <3
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. that antique fair looks aaaamazing!

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou so much for your comment! I read each and every one and will try to answer any questions or queries as quick as I can ♡♡♡