there's dancing behind movie scenes

Friday 13 December 2013

Hello! Yesterday evening I was lucky enough to be able to attend photographer Eleanor Hardwick's exhibition and duo zine launch 'Twenty Thirteen' at Doomed gallery in Dalston. I first discovered Eleanor through Rookie, and have since been an avid follower of her work and commissions for magazines such as Teen Tatler, Bullett and Vogue, along with work for two of my favourite designers Meadham Kirchhoff and Orla Kiely. I met up with Opi, Ella, Rachel and Maya (which was awesome because I would have been so shy on my own).



The gallery itself was a small room just down off of Ridley Road in Dalston, with the works on display printed on paper and stuck on the walls. Visually it encompassed everything the zines were intended to - the busy room and lively atmosphere bought back the excitement that comes with first parties and hang-outs with friends; the single snapshots on show demonstrating the fleetingness of youth with all it's bright colour and brilliance. Everything on display was so aesthetically pleasing in it's own right, but together produced a sickly sweet explosion of youth that stayed with you long after you left, like the taste of sugar that remains after devouring a stick of candyfloss at a funfair. I absolutely loved it, and am so pleased that I have physical copies of both zines that I can keep and pour over whenever I need a boost or some inspiration. 


We met so many cool people, lots of whom I knew of or had seen in photographs. It was so surreal to be surrounded by such interesting and artistic people, and I found myself spending about 99.9% of the night being completely in awe of everyone around me. I even got to meet Naomi who writes for Rookie's dear diary section...she was so lovely and I still can't really believe that we met (I mean she works for my favourite magazine and I've been reading her diary for months. How awesome is that?!) We also got to speak to Eleanor herself for a bit too, which was lovely as often you don't actually get to chat with the people behind exhibitions. She is such an inspiration, and made the evening so perfect by simply being there and being her awesome self. 





It was so lovely to see my rookie girls again - summer seems like such a long time ago. I also got to finally meet Maya, who I've known about through mutual friends but hadn't until last night had the chance to meet in person. As usual they were all dressed to perfection...I went for my typical granny-on-drugs kind of aesthetic, with a skirt and cardigan from Beyond Retro and shirt from Brighton.


It was so busy, but not in a bad way as everyone was so friendly and so freaking cool. I picked up so many style tips and have come away with a longing to cut myself a micro fringe and dye my hair a radical colour (not that I ever would because I'm too much of a scaredy cat).
































I had such an awesome night with some of my favourite people, and am now so inspired to take some dreamy photos and find out more about the other photographers who had work on display. I also am super inspired to journal properly again after almost breaking down over the perfection of the collages in Eleanor's zines. I hope you are all having a good week,

ellie xo

Check out Eleanor's WEBSITE to see her work and also B-RAD MAGAZINE because it's the coolest

29 comments:

  1. wow this looks so good!
    http://flowercrownsanddaisychains.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. The whole exhibition looks beyond cool, the bare walls stuck with photos look so much like a teenage girls wall and the artistic photos she longs to be able to create herself, except they really are her own photos.Don't think that made much sense, but you look like you had an awesome night, your outfit is so cool as always, you rock the granny chic Ellie.

    Imogen
    www.eloquenceandflair.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thankyou so much! and it totally made sense, I see what you mean! <3

      Delete
  3. Naomi is my favorite diarist on Rookie too! And I loved Eleanor's work in Yearbook Two especially. Why can't I go to fun art parties like this?! *my boring life*

    ReplyDelete
  4. her work is amazing! that sounds like a really wonderful time.
    p.s. I think you could totally rock a micro fringe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this looks so brilliant - the exhibition looks amazing and there are so many amazing people in these pictures! I've said this before and I'll say it before - your hair is GORGEOUS but yh omg microfringes and crazy colours are amazing too! xxx

    thisisfrom-matilda.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like you had an amazing time, that art gallery looks lovely!

    aclassystateofgrace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gah I really really wish I'd gone! I was going to but my mum wouldn't let me :( Maya's so lovely :') I would have loved to meet you and Opi and Rachel. I love all your blogs and it would have been rad to meet Eleanor and Naomi agghh! I'm glad you had a good time, it looks like so much fun! xoxo

    http://prettypassionsfinefashions.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thankyou! it was really cool...I would have loved to have met you though! <3 next time eh? x

      Delete
    2. You should come along to one of the London Rookie meetups :) they're really fun. That's where I met Maya. I wanna meet you too ahaha xoxo

      Delete
  8. Wow, so much cool in one blog post! <3

    daisychainsforever.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ridley Road is like 20 mins from my house but I was in Brighton. asjskd it looks so good! You should visit B Rad magazine's zine shop and gallery in Brighton


    -Aida
    xx

    http://sunshinesuperwoman.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! I adore Eleanor's work and this looks AMAZING! I would have loved to meet Naomi, too... Also, I think your hair is already super rad (although I bet you could rock a micro fringe). You should totally come to the next Rookie London meet up, the one I went to was so fun and it's so nice meeting fellow arty, fun people!
    xxx
    http://rollerskag.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And yeah I would love to! When are they?x

      Delete
    2. There have been a couple recently, I only went to one, and there will hopefully be some more soon - just join the Facebook group 'Rookie meet up in London or elsewhere'and you get all the deets.
      Xx

      Delete
    3. ah awesome - thankyou so much! <3 <3

      Delete
  11. This looks so amazing! I love Naomi's entries on Rookie too! OMG you should get a micro fringe and then you would look so much like Hayley Williams! <3

    www.lexilikes.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe omg thankyou! she is my idol not even kidding <3 <3

      Delete
  12. So annoyed I've only just found about the exhibition, would love to have gone! I love Rookie and I love Eleanor Hardwick's work. Thanks for the post :)

    Natalie x

    http://thetalkingwardrobe.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you're welcome, thankyou for reading it! and what a shame...there's always next time though!xx

      Delete
  13. This looks like such a good night, I wish I'd known the exhibition was on! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it was! such a shame, oh well hopefully you can come next time! xx

      Delete

Thankyou so much for your comment! I read each and every one and will try to answer any questions or queries as quick as I can ♡♡♡