she opened strange doors that we'd never close again

Wednesday 8 January 2014






























Happy Wednesday! I can't believe it's mid-week already. I've only been back at school for a few days but am already getting back into the usual grey swing that is my weekly routine. Getting up in the dark is still difficult, coming home to a hot mug of tea is still comforting; nothing has really changed except the fact that it is now a new year...and my last year of compulsory education. I had always assumed that I would just jet off into a career before I was 17, but as I've matured the necessity of qualifications and higher education in our modern society has been made ever more apparent to me. I also quite like the idea of staying in school too, as I feel a lot less grown up than I thought I would feel at 16.
Anyway, I had a textiles practical day today, and so had to spend the entire school day working on my practice piece for my final garment. I'm supposedly making a dress with a built-in corset, however I think quite a bit of adjustment is needed before it is anywhere near ready to be done in my proper fabric. It was much better than my normal timetable though.
I felt it necessary to wear my David Bowie top from the V&A shop today, to celebrate the birth of the Starman himself. Over the last year in particular his music has become increasingly more important to me; something about his evolution, both musically and physically, fascinates me. Basically I am very grateful that 67 years ago today a whimsical, artistic messiah-to-be was born.




































I wore my cardigan from Clothes Show that has quite definitely become my favourite cardigan, with my shirt from Clothes Show, top from the V&A, skirt from Blitz, shoes from Rokit and socks from Topshop. My uniform of late has consisted of variations of this outfit, as shorts are apparently deemed inappropriate (?!) and cardigans and skirts are very comfortable combinations.






(images from here)

On a completely separate topic, I also feel it is necessary to talk about the London Collections: Men shows that have been taking place this week. Today saw the presentation of Burberry Prorsum's A/W14 collection, which has, in my opinion, added the perfect splash of pattern into the often plain field that is men's fashion. Beautifully tailored trousers were paired with sleek jackets and overcoats, to which a printed shirt, unbuttoned and open, was added, along with a contrasting patterned bag. The effect was effortlessly smart; so casual and nonchalant in appearance, and yet so finely detailed and well finished that the pieces sell themselves as the highest quality of clothing. Patterned scarves were draped around the model's shoulders, and the odd suede cowboy jacket even made an appearance. I absolutely adore this collection and kind of (really) wish it was a) for women and b) in my price range. Actually, I don't even need it to be designed for women; with those sort of patterns and gorgeous bags, I'd wear the whole collection anyway.
In other news, my cousins have just returned from a holiday to New York, where they bought me a gorgeous new journal from Barnes & Noble. I recently finished my first, and so couldn't wait to start playing around with this one. Here are a few pages from the two, and if any of you are interested in journalling yourselves I suggest you check out this post Maya wrote for The Pulp Zine, as she is the queen of all things journally and hers are incredible. I also have started using my pocket scavenger book that my parents bought me for christmas. It's so relaxing to do and is a nice way to keep those little scraps and things that you want but are not sure where to put.



































I'm going to visit my cousins in the countryside this weekend, and so am looking forward to taking some proper pictures for you guys again. Until then, hope you have a good week.

ellie xo


29 comments:

  1. I love your journal! I wish I wasn't so busy with my final year at university! although I might start collecting this and that for it again! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thankyou! yeah it was hard to keep up with it during exams but I'm getting back into it again :)

      Delete
  2. I am in love with this outfit and your journal! You always have the most amazing posts. Love your blog!!! :)

    http://erikablogsalot.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loooove your journal <3

    http://prettypassionsfinefashions.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. your outfit is perfection once again <3 and that pocket scavenger book is such a cute idea i really want one!

    http://perpetual-perplexities.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your outfit so so much! I've recently refallen in love with journaling - it's so relaxing! xxxxo

    thisisfrom-matilda.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thankyou! and same...it's a lovely way to pass the time x

      Delete
  6. Your journal is simple perfection. And don't make me start about on your David Bowie tshirt...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your wee outfit! Your Dress sounds amazing would love to see it! Happy bday fellow Capricorn baby Mr Bowie. Your Journal is beautiful and you just reminded me I need one to start the new year! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah Ellie your outfits are always amazing! As is your journal <3

    http://www.lexilikes.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I ADDORE your glasses so much! I went to the opticians the other day to see if I could get some...turned out I could see perfectly well, so that sucked...I tried to persuade my mum to get me some with just glass, but she wouldn't let me! sad days. anyway, not sure why I just told you that but hey haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thankyou! and aw I used to want glasses so bad too! but then I actually ended up needing them hehe x

      Delete
  10. beautiful post. definitely inspired to start a journal, yours looks so cool x

    rubys-eyes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your posts! they're always so detailed and your pictures are stunning!

    -Aida
    xx

    http://sunshinesuperwoman.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  12. my god, i am in a world of swoon. your blog is bloody brilliant! your outfit in this post is super lovely....as for going back to school, that definitely doesn't sound quite so lovely. i go back in a few weeks and i can't really say i'm looking forward to it!
    bella xo
    http://sincerelyisabella.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, I'm new here. Your blog is amazing. I really like your style. This cardigan... is beauty <3 A little like grandma's sweater... but I love this style. I've just have one question... It is your natural colour or you dye hair? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou so much! My hair colour is natural :)

      Delete
  14. Your style always amazes me! Loving the outfit <3

    Chamomile Dealer

    ReplyDelete
  15. cute outfit yet again, and your journal is so sweet I can't wait to see more!

    http://secret-hipster.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh god you have the best taste in clothes

    mypuregoldbaby.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looking for a hackney man and van service? We can move you from anywhere in the UK to anywhere in Europe. We are the Man And Van Hackney number 1 man and van company. Packing up your house for the big move can be a long and arduous process, but with the right removal company like Supreme Man and Van (Hackney), you can rest assured that your most precious belongings will be taken care of. Supreme Man and Van will ensure that your belongings are taken care of in the packing process, so you won’t arrive to your new house to find new scratches or markings on your furniture. 

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou so much for your comment! I read each and every one and will try to answer any questions or queries as quick as I can ♡♡♡