and a thimblesworth of milky moon can touch hearts larger than a thimble

Thursday 27 March 2014


Hello again. I've been meaning to post all week, but as per usual schoolwork has completely taken over my life. I'm not feeling too bad about it though - my Textiles coursework is all due tomorrow, and although getting it all ready is quite demanding, I know I'm going to feel so good once it's all done and dusted. The workload for Design and Technology subjects like Textiles really surprised me - obviously I love fashion, designing and making, but I never expected that for GCSE we would have to carry out a project in that much detail. I don't regret taking it whatsoever though, as it has given me such an insight into what it would be like if I took Fashion Design further and studied it for A-Level or at University. 
Anyway, these pictures are all from last Saturday; I took a quite spontaneous trip to my childhood haunt, The Natural History Museum in South Kensington. I used to go there all the time because I absolutely adored seeing the dinosaur skeletons (when I was little I wanted to be a paleontologist), however I haven't been in ages...it felt like arriving at your family's house for the holidays. I managed to work it into my art project as I'm looking at pattern and repetition, so I did a few sketches of repeated patterns I could see in nature. 




 The Museum is such an amazing place, originating from 1753, when Sir Henry Sloane left his extensive collection of curiosities to the nation. They began the Natural History Collection, which has grown considerably and now fills the lofty stone rooms. There are all kinds of fossils, skeletons, rocks, minerals, species and files on display, including birds from Charles Darwin's own collection (a few of his unusual pigeons that were part of his proof that formed The Origin of the Species). Geologists, Biologists, Geographers and Zoologists can unite in this elaborate mecca of natural history, with perfect environments for art and the odd bit of revision. It is a fabulous place for a day out, and as entry is free, it's also the perfect place for last minute exam preparation...my friends and I are planning on going to revise for our Biology and Geography exams next month.
It also has a really welcoming and relaxed feel, despite being the home of such valuable and rare collections. Food and drink is permitted, and seemingly no one abuses it - the relaxed rule means people eat and drink when they need to, and just to keep them going so they can enjoy the displays. Children are welcomed, with interactive displays, and of course lots of benches and spaces for tired parents and lunches (if you prefer to bring your own). The cafés are lovely (as you can see above the portions are huge!) and basically the entire atmosphere is vibrant and bubbly and full of interested people.





I wore my new velvet jeans that I bought from Beyond Retro. I absolutely adore the shape of them - they are really high-waisted and super comfy, and basically my dream trousers. I wore them with my shirt from Brick Lane, gold vest-sweater from the Vintage Carboot Sale, necklace and belt from Beyond Retro, backpack and shoes from Rokit and socks from Topshop. My jacket used to be my mum's when she was about my age. It's really weird because without seeing many pictures of my mum as a teen, I seemed to have developed almost the exact same style as hers. Maybe it's genetic.






 It's a really amazing place to visit. I could easily spend all day painting butterflies like the ones above.
Anyway, I better get back to my coursework (I literally have one page to do and then I never have to do it again, the excitement is excruciating). Also, I have seen the final photographs from the Beyond Retro photoshoot, and I love them! I can't wait to share them with you guys.
Hugs,

Ellie xo

22 comments:

  1. You look super cool in those velvet jeans, mary janes and tweed jacket! The right amount of quirk, cuteness and charisma :) I totally get your fascination with the Jurassic period... I stare at those skeletons in awe, wondering how was it ever possible to such a fabulous creature to exist! A bloody dinosaur! How amazing is that, right?! (too much "Cosmos" watching... sorry! ahah).
    Anyway, I love museums but I hate the fact they're often crowded with people... It ruins my mood and sometimes they get in the way of a potentially good photo. One last question: what is your favourite dino? x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thankyou so much! yes they do get kind of busy but the vibe at the Natural History Museum is awesome :)
      in answer to your question...it was always velociraptor when I was little, but I think now maybe archeopteryx :)

      Delete
  2. I wish I had a museum I could go to any time. The closest one to me is an hour and a half away. This is a great outfit though, I love it.

    sonjatitanic.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  3. god I love that place! my mum works with museums and she's always in and out of them, often getting to go 'backstage' to look at artefacts behind the scenes, which she loves! I love these trousers so so much and that's crazy about your mum's style haha! (also that food looks so good) xxo

    thisisfrom-matilda.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's so amazing, what a fabulous job! I'm really jealous...and thankyou!

      Delete
  4. the setting of your photos is amazing- all the tones are really similar to what you wear in your outfits
    natural history museums are the best

    http://secret-hipster.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look absolutely beautiful, the velvet trousers suit you perfectly! I used to visit th museums all the time, but not living in London means less of a chance to pop in. The food looks delicious!
    Imogen
    www.eloquenceandflair.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. ugh, nature museums are so wonderful! In Chicago we have the Field Museum (with a taxidermy section that is so big you can literally get lost in it). I would've loved to see one of Darwin's birds.. i learned about those in biology and they look like great pets! :)
    http://criticallycouture.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes I learnt about them in biology too! so cool to see them in real life :)

      Delete
  7. Are your photos taken with a camera or iphone, theyre very lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't been to a museum in forever and I miss going there sooo much! I don't know if they have a museum around here like that I would have to research but I doubt that there is. I'll have to wait until I'm traveling so I can stop by a museum in some other country :) I think they are also perfect places for outfit photos. So much greatness in the backround and so rich in knowledge :) Oh and I love the velvet trousers, they are so unique!

    Chamomile Dealer

    ReplyDelete
  9. This outfit is a bit like an eccentric university professor - awesome! I'm heading to the NHM pretty soon, as I study geology, and your photos make it look so lovely. Rad trousers, too xx

    http://hellopookie.blogspot.co.uk/
    http://rollerskag.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the natural history museum! I haven't been in so long, I should really get down there some time soon! The science museum was my favourite as a kid - I loved how interactive it was. Those jeans are amazing and I love the jacket too! xo

    http://www.lexilikes.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thankyou! I love the science museum too...I wish I could just hang out there instead of having to study physics! x

      Delete
  11. your outfits are always so well coordinated ah

    and i've been meaning to visit there for ages and every photo i see makes me even more desperate hahahahahahahahaha i hate living so far away

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thankyou so much! you would love it...next time you come to london hehe!!

      Delete
  12. incredible photos, that food looks amazing! love the outfit x

    rubys-eyes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou so much for your comment! I read each and every one and will try to answer any questions or queries as quick as I can ♡♡♡