carefree laughter, silence ever after

Sunday 8 June 2014



Friday was quite literally the dreamiest, summery-est day I've had for ages (despite having a biology exam in the afternoon). The sun was actually out for once, and it was unusually warm for London - unsurprisingly though, it was the first day for ages I had decided to wear jeans. Typical.
I can't believe it is only a week until I finish school completely...obviously I still have two years of sixth form, but it's going to be so different, and I have a crazy 10 weeks of complete freedom beforehand. I've been planning all of the things I'm going to do for ages, but now it's almost here and I just don't feel like I'm prepared enough - this is probably the most carefree summer I'm going to have, like, ever, so I want to really make the most of it and all. I have decided I am going to buy myself a moleskin journal at last, though, to try and encourage me to draw and document more. Who knows, I might discover the inner artist in me yet (I better hurry up otherwise I am going to completely fail A Level art).





I based this outfit around the super cute checked shirt dress I picked up from the Motel sale. It's actually supposed to be worn with the buttons going down the back (the label is on the button side) but I just liked the button-down effect too much and so wore it backwards. I wore it with a top from the East End Thrift Store, jeans and socks from Topshop, cardigan from Beyond Retro and shoes from Rokit.





I always forget to wear regular t-shirts because of my ridiculous obsession with collars...I usually wear a collared shirt underneath, but obviously summer makes that a little too hot so I tend to forget to wear them completely. Wearing random beads and necklaces makes it feel a little less like a plain top though, and hopefully will encourage me to wear more in the future. I liked layering it under the dress - it felt kind of 90's, for some reason.


I spent the remainder of Friday afternoon de-stressing with watercolours, which was unbelievably relaxing as I haven't been able to paint since I handed my final art sketchbook in over a month or so ago. I totally agree with David Bowie's idea that one creative medium fuels other creative mediums; just painting a little, or doing something equally expressive, really opens up the sort of creative pathways in the brain; I found my recent clothes-rut completely solved, and was able to tidy and organise my head a little more before starting work again that evening. Basically, painting is the best medicine for pretty much anything.
Have a good week!


31 comments:

  1. Hope your biology exam, and your other exams went well- guessing they were GCSEs? New follower here, though I'd guess you were closer to university-age than year 11, probably because of your AWESOME hair and style! Love your outfit, the layering here is amazing.
    Your workspace looks great as well (all praise the Bowie x o x)- the teacup is adorable.
    Good luck for sixth form, I've just finished year 13 (#emoshunalll) and I had a great couple of years! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thankyou so much, and yes gcses! they went ok to be honest...looking forward to sixth form though! <3 x

      Delete
  2. I love the layering of the t-shirt on top of the checked shirt, it gives it such a cool aesthetic. Love the jeans too. And your table is so nice and artist-y and I love it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. really beautiful outfit, you layer things very beautifully :)

    http://www.sarahprowse.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a lovely outfit, I think your glasses are so cute :D
    Hope your biology exam went well! I also love your painting you created too, so pretty:)

    www.violetdaffodils.blogspot.co.uk
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thankyou! It was alright to be honest :)

      Delete
  5. How exciting that you're finishing school. Hopefully this summer is amazing for you before 6th form! I absolutely adore the cardigan you're wearing in the first few images!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carefree summers are the best. I like that Bowie quote, I totally agree with it. And this look is so good! Your style is really unique.

    onacruz blog

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute! Do you have a watercolor brand that you prefer?

    http://happydayscalilife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The one I use is Winsor and Newton (from Cass Art) and I absolutely adore them! x

      Delete
  8. I only have less than a week left of school too! (three more exams to go!) I'm so happy :) hope your biology exam went well x
    www.flowercrownsanddaisychains.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. omg same just three to go! hope they go well for you too!

      Delete
  9. I love how you chose to wear the dress with the buttons in the front, the cardigan and the thrifted shirt were paired well with the dress. "destressing with watercolors" is a very cool idea.. Hope you enjoy your vacation! .

    styleriottt.blogspot.com
    styleriottt.blogspot

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this! That back to front shirt dress is amazing! I hope your biology exam went well!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your style is so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your outfit is amazing. It inspires me to layer my t-shirts like this. Good luck on your Biology exam. I don't know how the British education system works since I'm in the US, but I am looking to figure it out. I'm following you on Bloglovin now :)

    theatricalitybymariah.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thankyou so much! haha it's a bit weird we have gcses at age 16, then A levels age 18, and then you can go to university. It doesn't really make much sense!

      Delete
  13. You're totally beautiful. And I adore your cardigan. :)

    Naturally Jes

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your cardigan, just found your blog and I love your style!

    The Velvet Black // UK Style, Beauty and Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete


  15. Amelia G10 June 2014 13:11

    I completely agree about how helpful little creative chill sessions can be - especially in the midst of exams, which can seem like a huge grey, uncreative, academic blur! Loving the 90's layering and how you managed to keep your usual 60-70s feel in there too xx

    www.hellopookie.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  16. your outfit is super cute, good luck with the rest of your exams!x

    cultkid.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just spotted this post, and I can't believe I missed it! I love the t-shirt and dress combo to bits! :)

    http://zingerbee.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou so much for your comment! I read each and every one and will try to answer any questions or queries as quick as I can ♡♡♡