see the fire is sweeping our very street today

Friday 6 June 2014


I love Fridays. Especially when the sun is shining and one more of my exams is over at last. I've had an incredibly relaxing afternoon painting flowers, drinking cranberry juice out of one of my many china teacups and reading snippets of my current book 'The Tale of Two Cities' by Charles Dickens. I'm enjoying it so far, although not much has happened yet. I was actually going to sit out on the little bit of roof outside my window but I abandoned that mission after realising the tiles probably wouldn't take my weight and I didn't particularly want to fall through the ceiling into the kitchen. It was a nice idea, though.
Anyway, this outfit was from Monday (I need to start posting outfits on the day and not like a week later I'm sorry) and as per usual I decided to go against multiple fashion commandments in order to complete the whole look. I have spent the vast majority of my life being told that you must never, ever wear double denim, and you must never, ever wear socks and sandals. If you haven't already noticed, I don't really like being told what to do when it comes to clothes, so on Monday I decided to break both rules in one outfit. Sue me.





I have had my eye on the super cute bralets from Motel for absolutely ages now, and so you can imagine how excited I was when I managed to get hold of this one from their sample sale. I like the bold, floral pattern combined with the soft leather - it gives a slightly edgier feel to what would be quite a kitsch, retro-style top. It is definitely on my list of things I absolutely have to wear to festivals this summer, and is going to be layered over many shirts and tops this winter too, I'm sure.
I wore it with Topshop jeans and socks, a Rokit jacket and shoes, belt, beads and sunglasses from Beyond Retro.



Despite not having my usual collar to adorn with jewellery (shock horror) I decided to wear multiple necklaces anyway. I love layering beads, and am looking forward to expanding my collection a little over this summer.




I bought these sandals for £14 from Beyond Retro in Brighton...I used to wear Birkenstocks when I was little, and I just couldn't resist the brightness of these ones. They're the kind of shoe people either really hate or really like - and to be honest, I can't dislike anything brightly coloured especially when they can be worn with so many different patterned socks. Also, they're kind of my take on the whole 'slider' trend. The original adidas sliders are great and all but I don't think they're quite my style, whereas a slightly kookier version like these are much more my thing.
Have a great weekend!


20 comments:

  1. Ellie this is literally my favourite outfit that you've ever worn and that's saying something because I normally hate double denim!!! That bra let is super cute and I love your jewellery omg <33333 xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ah thankyou so so much! I thought people would be like 'what the hell' because it's a bit different from my usual! <3 <3 <3 much love!

      Delete
  2. I love double denim! This look is so good, I think I'm inspired to do some double denim myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thankyou so much!! ee I'm pleased...maybe we'll start a revolution!

      Delete
  3. fab sunglasses
    xx
    daniella
    simplybeautifulelegant.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. love this outfit! the bralet is so cool and I wish I could pull off round sunglasses! xx

    thisisfrom-matilda.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your sunglasses, they're my favourite style! The bralet is so cute, and double denim works for you my friend! xo

    http://www.lexilikes.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. The outfit is soo lovley, and i love the eye necklace

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it! The outfit is so summery!

    http://happydayscalilife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. whaaaaaat i was trying to find some black strappy shoes like those with Birkenstock ish soles but with like, a heel strap, like yours have, but those are so much cooler! what festivals are you going to?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thankyou hehe!! I'm going to Reading...although I probably won't survive the crowds because I am so so tiny !

      Delete
  9. Double denim is one of my favourite fashion fauxs to break. The old canadian tuxedo is mighty fine. I also love the layering of necklaces, but also just LIKE THAT JACKET IS PERFECTION. I've got one similar to it that I wear way too often because I freaking love it so much, but yours is so nice and I want it grrr. Love everything about this really.

    ReplyDelete
  10. double denim is so hard to pull off so kudos to you! Also, where are your earrings from? been looking for some more hoops for ages :)

    www.weallscreamforicedreams.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thankyou! and the earrings were my mum's when she was a teen, but maybe try Topshop? x

      Delete
  11. You are really accomplishing the denim look! I'm a sucker for denim, and it looks so good double. I also love all the small details the outfit has, socks in the sandals(a trend I'm a big fan of), all the jewels, and I'm crazy about the orange belt.

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou so much for your comment! I read each and every one and will try to answer any questions or queries as quick as I can ♡♡♡