if we were born to hesitate

Sunday 30 November 2014


It's been such a long time since I actually sat down to write a post here. I wouldn't go so far as to say I had lost motivation, as I don't really think that it takes motivation exactly to keep a blog going. In truth, I just haven't had the time I used to have - college does take a hell of a lot of my free time, and usually when I'm not working I try and spend evenings and weekends with friends or doing art or something more productive. Also, after fashion week, I felt a little as if my blog was just getting too commercial and cliché - I want my posts on here to be creative or inspiring myself to be creative, not worn out, surface-level generic outfit posts and advertisements. Not that I think that's a bad thing - some blogs post daily, but manage to keep their posts interesting and worthwhile, whereas mine I felt were becoming a little lacking and very depthless. I am kind of pleased I took an accidental break, and am looking forward to sharing my explorations with film photography, art work, outfits and inspiration more over the coming months with a new sense of creativity, not structured or scheduled and taking everything meaningful out of it. In short, I will post more regularly and hopefully with much better content.



Anyway, I recently got my film developed that I've had on the go in my Zenit for a month or two. I quite like the idea of taking a few pictures every now and again, so the film you develop spans a long period of time, and reminds you of trivial events and peaceful days you might otherwise have forgotten about. The three pictures above were taken more recently, just before work one saturday. I wore a shirt from Blitz, cardigan and skirt from Beyond Retro, jacket and bag from Rokit, and shoes from Asos. I work now in an antique jewellery store on saturdays and love the fact I can wear anything - we are encouraged to wear as many pieces of amazing costume jewellery as we can during the day, and so it's quite fun trying to choose an outfit that will go well with statement earrings and crazy vintage brooches and big necklaces. We also get so many well-dressed customers that make it the perfect place for a bit of wardrobe (as well as jewellery) inspiration.





From an early morning walk a few weeks ago...we now have the cutest little puppy and so will soon be doing this more often, which I'm looking forward to as nothing feels better than walking in fresh heath air and drinking nutty hot chocolate on a winter morning.





I spent the weekend in Swanage a month or so ago, and used most of the film there. I love the English seaside and like the way film captures the grey, shabby side as well as the sunny side of the coastline. I also love how unpredictable it is - some of these pictures could be taken using a digital, whilst others have come out with that antique, grainy edge that make them look as if they were taken in the forties. If I could I would shoot everything on film all the time.









(The best part of the above photo being the fact that the dog isn't ours - we accidentally befriended it and then it decided to follow us).



(Jumper - Rokit / Trousers - Asos Marketplace / Sunglasses - Camden Market)

Anyway, back to the present day -  I am currently sitting reminiscing whilst writing about these pictures, drinking ginger and cinnamon tea and listening to Metronomy (I'm seeing them on friday and am so so so excited...trying to make sure I know all lyrics etc before the day arrives). I also bought tickets to go and see Peace in February and actually cannot contain my excitement. The thought of seeing them live again is just too much.
In other news, I saw the Egon Shiele Radical Nude exhibition at the Courtauld gallery today - I'd been meaning to pop down for ages but only today managed to actually go. It was really good...his pieces are so ahead of his time and still so controversial, despite current culture being so different to the culture of the time his work was originally received. It's a very small show but so worth seeing, even just to get to see something so exposing and raw in a fine art gallery.









 I wore my embroidered Topshop jeans that I've had since I was 12, glittery Topshop socks, jumper from Polomocha on Etsy, Deichmann shoes and fur coat from a market in Oxford ("nothing matters when you're wearing fur..."). I have a bit of a thing for mustard / yellow knitted jumpers at the moment, and am now the proud owner of three (all in different a mustardy shade). This one was from my current favourite Etsy store, Polomocha - it's based in Canada, but postage isn't expensive and everything is really well priced. I've ordered so much from there recently.
Finally, last but not least, I was sent some herbal teas from the lovely Teatox to try, and haven't had the chance to review them until now. As a big tea person I drink a minimum of four or five cups a day, and way more if I have a day in, so fitting the morning and night blends in with my daily routine felt completely natural. Waking up to a refreshing, cleansing cup of nettle, green and lemongrass tea with goji berries has made my mornings so much better, and I've definitely felt healthier for it. The evening blend is just as satisfying: calming rooibos, peppermint, hibiscus and elderflower makes for the best way to get to sleep. I've been religiously drinking both for about two weeks now and I absolutely love both. You can buy your own here.




 Have a good week!

-Ellie x

40 comments:

  1. Glad your back to blogging! I love the grainy quality of these photos :)

    http://secret-hipster.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited that you are back, Ellie! I love those shoes and socks in the last photo in your outfit series, I think shoes & socks are the best part of any outfit. I hope classes aren't too stressful for you & that you can use more film in the future.

    www.thejuiceboxqueen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aw yay thanks!! and omg yes socks are the best <3

      Delete
  3. You are so beautiful! And where do you find the codes for your amazing blog layouts???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thankyou so much Tessa hehe! and not going to lie I actually buy the theme from Etsy - I just can't hack HTML so get one that's already done for me!! You literally just search 'blogger templates' and there are loads to choose from xx

      Delete
  4. Nice to have you back!! The photos of you by the lake/river make me feel strangely nostalgic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's something so delicate about the quality of these photos. There's such a lovely ratio of grain and the colours are so soft. I also adore your outfits, especially the first skirt. It's awesome to have you blogging again, I've missed scrolling through here.

    http://sonjatitanic.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those film pictures are absolutely gorgeous! It makes me want to buy one for myself. Gorgeous outfits as well. :)


    http://sewoverdressed.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know what you mean about college taking a lot of your time. I feel like I've been severely lacking in my blogging because of it. I just hope you get that inspiration back you were talking about. I have been feeling uninspired, so I haven't posted. I hope to hear more from you though!

    Theatricality by Mariah

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I love all those photographs, they have such a lovely calm quality to them. I've never been to Swanage but you've made me want to visit.

    I think sometimes taking a step back from blogging can be so helpful as it can be a bit all-consuming and can quite easily become a little draining. I'm so glad you had a little time to breath and I'm so looking forward to seeing more of photography and art.

    Lally X

    lallymacbeth.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you really need to just take a break sometimes! thankyou xox

      Delete
  9. I'm glad you've enjoyed your break! Don't forget to take sometime to relax :)
    I love your new blog theme, it's really lovely.
    - F - www.elevatorbrain.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  10. nutty hot choc yuuuuummmmm! film photography does wonders when it comes to pleasing the eye... I can almost feel the seaside breeze caressing my face :) no matter how frequently you post, this blog still remains as one of the quirkiest and envy-inducing ahah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mm I know I really want some now ah!! and thankyou so much, that really means the world <3 xx

      Delete
  11. Ah i just came across your blog and i love it so much! -great, great pictures!

    ROSALINDIS//rosalindis.blogspot.com.es

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amazing post and all your photographs look so amazing and beautiful! And I adore the new look of your blog! xx
    fashionismyfirstlanguage.blogspot.ie

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'd love to work somewhere I could be free to dress how I wanted x) The first photos look so nostalgic and taken from a movie, I really like it :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your outfits! Especially loving the last one with the mustard sweater :)

    Joy xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. cool style.

    the-renaissance-of-inner-fashion.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  16. Stunning photographs, love all the photographs x

    http://rubys-eyes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Aww, that's so sweet that the doggie followed you guys! You have a wardrobe made for being on film, I love it. Charming blog, lovely outfits--heads up, new follower!

    zauberbear.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey I nominated you for the Liebster award if you are interested ! xx
    fashionismyfirstlanguage.blogspot.ie

    ReplyDelete
  19. You always manage to ooze an air of effortless cool and I admire that so much. I definitely agree with you about film, I love taking photos over the space of a few months and being reminded of fun nights with friends etc. I bought tickets to see Peace in February too in Norwich, I'm incredibly excited and will be front row screaming the lyrics to Float Forever.
    Imogen
    www.eloquenceandflair.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such a lovely post! I really love your blog. I hope you don't mind me asking, but where/how do you edit your photos? The effect is really nice xx

    www.missdaisylu.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou so much for your comment! I read each and every one and will try to answer any questions or queries as quick as I can ♡♡♡