into the colour that you're making me

Monday 19 January 2015


This weekend was actually really busy and successful, and has left me feeling really satisfied and complete. I'm one of those people that feels really uncomfortable if I don't keep up with work, or don't see friends and go out, or just waste time being unproductive. Keeping a little sketchbook/journal has really helped me fill up those unproductive periods, so even car journeys or free time at home can feel like they're useful and worthwhile. Anyway, on Friday I booked a summer holiday with some friends (which has left me craving the sun so badly) and then had a good day at work and seeing some people on Saturday. On Sunday I went to the Vintage Kilo Sale in Bethnal Green, before meeting up with Hollie and Opi and having a meander around the National Portrait Gallery and Soho. I felt really in control with the whole work/life balance thing, which usually I can never organise (I tend to either spend weekends holed up working, or staying out on aimless walks and adventures to avoid doing anything at all).



Anyway, as you probably know I was interviewed for Judy's Vintage Fair's online magazine, Judy's Vintage Digest, last year, and have since written a little article for them after fashion week. As a fan of any sort of clothes and any sort of sale (even more so when they come as a pair) I jumped at the chance of going along to take some photos and try and find some bargains. I've been to a Judy's Kilo Sale before, and managed to bag a real Diesel leather jacket for £10 (through some later research I found out a new one was worth something crazy like £300), so I had high hopes for this one. I was not disappointed either, with the quite overwhelming space of York Hall filled with rails and buckets of clothes, with people rooting their way through, each seemingly with a serious pre-set agenda of exactly what they were looking for. There was so many things to choose from - the rails ranged from summer dresses, to velvet pieces, shearling coats, denim jeans and jackets, (lots of) plaid shirts and knitwear. I managed to find myself two big plaid shirts which will be perfect for cosy college outfits, a cute white jumper with embroidered flowers (looks better than it sounds) and a red cardigan (I am still obsessed with red). The whole lot only weighed about a kilo (which cost £15), so you really do get a lot for your money when you compare it to how much you might pay for just one item in high street vintage stores.







The other part of the event which I absolutely loved (and was the best surprise) was the long table of jewellery and accessories running along the back wall of the hall. Jewellery is not usually something you would find at a sale like this, and so it was such a nice addition, especially as they had so, so, so many amazing pieces and all for really cheap prices. I work in an antique costume jewellery shop on a Saturday and so can vouch that the prices were really competitive, plus the range of earrings and brooches was incredible. You just can't beat vintage jewellery, and I may or may not have left a good few pairs of earrings richer than I arrived.






In short it was a really well organised event, with each person given a bag to fill as they pleased before it was weighed at the till. You really could get lots of things for a really good price, plus they had so many interesting and staple pieces that made going really worthwhile. It's definitely worth checking out their next events here.






I wore a very earthy/autumnal outfit as is commonplace with me most days. I couldn't help throwing on some comfortable patterned trousers from Rokit, something I just can't get enough of at the moment. I used to worry that patterned trousers looked too much like pyjamas but I have come to the conclusion that they don't really, and even if they did I just wouldn't care. I wore them with a jumper from American Apparel, scarf from Blitz and my coat from Topshop. The shoes were my christmas present from The Whitepepper, and I am completely obsessed with them (I mean they're mustard. My favourite colour in the whole world). The little bee charm is from Lotus Fairy on Etsy.






After the sale I met up with Hollie and Opi, and after lunch and a catch-up we spent the afternoon at the National Portrait Gallery. We saw the Grayson Perry exhibition I've been dying to see for ages, before wandering through Covent Garden and Soho, visiting some of my favourite places including the astrology shop and Ed's Diner.
I took some film photos but haven't got them developed yet, so here are some recent photos from my phone from the weekend.




Clockwise from top: Pretty chandeliers at work / noodles for lunch / necklaces at work / dressing up in as much silver and turquoise jewellery as I could find





Clockwise from top: Grayson Perry at the NPG / NPG / the queen of absolutely everything, Vivienne Westwood herself (possibly my favourite portrait of her ever) / Grayson Perry at the NPG



We rounded off the day with ice cream floats in Ed's Diner, which was amazing as it always is in there (having Elvis playing anywhere makes me incredibly happy) however we did end up having a slight mishap with a very sly man and Hollie's phone...in short, be very careful in central London as there are lots of people that really like taking phones from teenage girls. The guys in Ed's were amazing though and so that definitely made the situation a lot less stressful than it could have been.
Anyway, I hope you all have a good week!


28 comments:

  1. The brooches and pins look gorgeous! I would have loved to be at the Vintage fair.
    Also your outfit looks super comfortable and cute ☺

    www.elevatorbrain.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. such a gorgeous post! I love your outfit xx

    www.monochromeroses.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've loved the look of those kilo sales Judy's do but they completely miss out my part of the country, the nearest is Leeds which is over 100 miles away :(
    Your outfit is amazing, I'm in love with your fluffy coat and mustard shoes ♥ I love patterned trousers, but I totally know what you mean about feeling a bit like pajamas haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aw that is such a shame!! we'll have to organise something near you :) and yay thank you!

      Delete
  4. Those shoes.... I think I am in love! Mustard yellow is such an unusual colour for footwear (at least for me) but seeing you pull it off so well makes me want to order these straight away! oh, and the bee necklace :D

    this is going to seem like such a strange question, but do you have any tips for growing out your hair? Mine is the same colour as yours (which is probably why I'm asking you) and I can't get it to grow any longer than shoulder length... just wondering if you have any tips but if not don't worry! Love your blog:)

    Alannah
    winterelle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much!
      and well for me it only started growing when I started cutting it less regularly, however that contradicts what most hairdressers would recommend (they usually say trim it every 6-8 weeks I think?) and so I'm not too sure? Hope you find something that works! xx

      Delete
  5. I so nearly went to the kilo sale omg, after seeing your photos I'm definitely going next time. Obsessed with your mustard shoes and earthy tones <3 Need to see this exhibition! x

    www.lexilikes.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ah that would have been so nice to see you! hopefully I'll see you next time xx

      Delete
  6. love the snaps from the vintage fair, and your outfit is spot on (as usual)

    http://secret-hipster.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  7. All that jewelry... It's like a dream...

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look lovely, great outfit! Your photos are always amazing!

    rosalindis.blogspot.com.es

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks like such an amazing time. The Vintage Kilo Sale makes me wish I lived in England so I could go! They sound amazing! It seems like you got some great pieces. I can't wait to see how you style them. I wish I could see the pants up close in your outfit because they look crazy amazing :)

    Theatricality by Mariah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much and ah I will have to do close ups in future!!

      Delete
  10. Adore your outfit, love your photos, the places you visited look so interesting, I'd love to live in London for all these types of reasons, there is a bigger variety of things to do there x

    owlsinthesummer.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  11. Reading about your various adventures makes me miss London so much! You get up to such fun stuff, and I'm always impressed by your outfits which contain so many sweet details that all come together so wonderfully. :) Love your fab pants and those AMAZING shoes. They really are perfect! xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. this sale looks like heaven! i'm always intrigued when you talk about the shop you work in - i'll be sure to pop in if I'm ever in the area. I looove your shoes, and that jacket is beautiful. We recently got an Ed's diner in the food court of my local Brighton shopping centre - horrible place, but I've heard such good things about Ed's that I can't waiiit to go! your turquoise necklace collection is perfect too <3 hope you're well ellie xx

    thisisfrom-matilda.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much! and yay that would be lovely, pop in anytime! xo

      Delete
  13. Your outfits are always flawless. I love your aesthetic.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those pictures of the vintage fair are amazing and I adore your shoes! xx
    fashionismyfirstlanguage.blogspot.ie

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks so cool! I want my blog posts to look like this!

    xoxo Leena
    www.painted-roses.com
    https://www.bloglovin.com/people/paintedroses

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations guys, quality information you have given! chandeliers for sale uk


    ReplyDelete

Thankyou so much for your comment! I read each and every one and will try to answer any questions or queries as quick as I can ♡♡♡