marble stones sinking in the sand

Friday 27 February 2015


Ever since I can remember I've always gone away to the seaside with my family during the half-term holidays, and this year was no exception. It was a perfect excuse to get out of London for a few days, let the dog have a run on the beach and do some art without any distractions. We spontaneously decided on Margate as I'd been hearing lots about the Turner Contemporary Gallery as well as it's vintage and antique shops, so it sounded like it would be a nice spot to visit (like Hastings was last year).







As usual I couldn't help but wear as many patterns as possible. I think I've passed the stage of trying to match patterns and prints, and instead now just throw together individual pieces I like, regardless of whether they really go together or not. I wore a Beyond Retro top and jacket with my old velvet trousers, Topshop bag (that I bought in a sale about 5 years ago..!) and The Whitepepper mustard shoes I got for Christmas. I'm completely obsessed with their colour and how comfy they are.







We arrived in Margate around lunchtime, and so trawled through the small selection of vintage and antique shops before stopping in a cute café to get something to eat. The shops are all located in the old town and pretty much all in one street, which makes finding them easy and browsing between them much nicer than if they were miles apart. Prices were also so much cheaper than London - the high price tag associated with vintage here seems to have bypassed Margate, leaving most shops selling clothes at what they are worth, instead of slapping on a huge value simply because it looks slightly retro. I bought a few bits and bobs, including a new little film camera to play around with! There were loads of cameras for less than £20, so I couldn't help getting myself a Olympus Pen as I've never had an Olympus before, and it is so much lighter and more compact than my Zenit (which I love but is so heavy).










Lunch was from The Cupcake Café, a beauty of a place that served the chunkiest sandwiches and amazing hazelnut lattes. I spent the rest of the day strolling through the shops before hanging around on the beach watching the sunset with one of my best friends who was coincidentally holiday-ing in Margate at the same time.






On the second day we managed to visit The Shell Grotto, an amazing underground labyrinth of shell-lined walls, that no one knows the origins of. It is possibly the most amazing thing I have ever seen in my entire life - such ornate designs that must have taken years to construct on top of the years spent collecting the shells that make them. I wore my new jacket I bought the day before with a jumper from Polo & Mocha on Etsy, a Beyond Retro skirt and Topshop bag.








I visited the soon-to-reopen Dreamland arcade and a huge charity bookshop (I bought several £1 art books) and completely reaffirmed my love for quaint seaside towns. I stayed for two more days which I will post pictures from soon (probably along with the film photos from the weekend which are currently being developed).
In other news, I just got back from a week long geography field trip today, which was beautiful and crazy fun despite being incredibly tiring and cold. I can't wait to get those photos developed either, but in the meantime here are a few little coastal pictures to summarise:




I plan to get myself organised this weekend so I can post my last LFW and Margate posts...so have a lovely weekend and I'll see you on the other side!

16 comments:

  1. Your new jacket is so cool! Love its colour. Margate looks like such a cute town! I'm really craving one of those cupcakes right now..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never been to Margate but this has really made me want to go! It looks like such a cute place and the little shops look really authentic. Your style is so pretty btw, your blog's amazingg!

    -Nabeela xo
    http://nabsticle.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like such a lovely quaint town! I love your whitepepper shoes too and want some for myself.

    And I know exactly what you mean about high prices just because it's "vintage" - ridic! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the bomber jackets so much!! your leopard print polo neck is incredible as well, this looks like such a lovely trip, and the lattes sound heavenly ah. xx

    thisisfrom-matilda.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you pair such bold prints and still look amazing!

    infinity of fashion// Lucy Jane

    ReplyDelete
  6. such dreamy photos... I love it!

    http://secret-hipster.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  7. The arcade looks so dreamy. Love your whitepepper shoes and green bomber <3 Also v jealous of your new film camera.

    www.lexilikes.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Every time I come to your page, I keep wanting to move to the UK more and more or spend a ridiculous amount of time vacationing.
    x

    Glitter Daiquiri Blah(g)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds like you had a lovely time and I adore both of your outfits! xx
    fashionismyfirstlanguage.blogspot.ie

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh, your outfit is soo cute!! the color and the fit of the bomber jacket is just ngsfgh. all your pictures are so beautiful and "clean", I really, really want to go to the UK now xx

    Ania, nurinek.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. gorgeous photos ellie! they look lovely x
    love from Holly │ The English Eccentric

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your photography is really nice. I especially like the second outfit with the green jacket and necklaces. Your blog is one of favourites even though I don't comment on your posts xx

    melissaknottstyle.blogspot.co.uk ♥

    ReplyDelete
  13. such beautiful photo's, Now I really want to have one of those cupcakes :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Chunky sandwiches ftw! I love little outings like this, looks like fun. Your green bomber looks really cool :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This post is so lovely - I'm in love with your green jacket! xxx

    http://ohsnapanna.blogspot.fr/

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou so much for your comment! I read each and every one and will try to answer any questions or queries as quick as I can ♡♡♡