if this moment passes as if it hadn't happened

Monday 18 January 2016


My mock exams are over!!! It feels like it's been forever despite only actually having three exams including art. I quite enjoyed the study leave though - it's so nice actually having some free time to get work done rather than having to stick to the strict structure of regular school days. It was a welcome break too - I had time to immerse myself fully into the buzz of LCM, as well as go sale shopping (American Apparel bodysuit and shorts in the above photo were almost 75% off in store!). I've got back into my old ways of trying harder with outfits and basically just not holding back whatsoever - I think the loss of Bowie really woke me up and made me realise that if you like something, do it - life's too short to do otherwise. (The shirt is from Lazy Oaf).
I haven't had time to take proper photos but I will do as soon as I can, for now here is my latest roll of film from New Year's Eve up till now. I apologise to my friends for not asking whether I can post these or not but they are generally cute / aesthetic photos so hopefully they won't mind.





New Year's Eve was a glittery dance party affair that saw my friends and I wear as much sparkle as humanly possible. I also got to see family on New Year's day which was super cute also look how tall I look (I'm like 5ft so looking tall is a huge deal for me).
I then have some photos from after seeing the Kinky Boots musical in Covent Garden, and got overly excited after finding a little elephant statue on the way home.





My LCM outfit minus the amazing jacket (if I say so myself). Berets have transformed my life as have roll neck tops, layers, triple sole creepers and cropped jeans. Basically this outfit is my new favourite combination / silhouette and I intend to wear it as much as possible.
I used the rest of the film last Tuesday when I visited the David Bowie mural in Brixton, which fans have turned into a sort of memorial by laying flowers, burning candles and leaving notes. Bowie meant a lot to me and it felt right to go and pay my respects, and it was such a beautiful mural with so many amazing flowers that it really warmed my heart and reminded me how nice and vigilant people can be when they all come together - pens were left to share so everyone had the chance to leave a note on the walls, the department store the mural is painted onto had no issue with this, and there was no limit to who could go - it was an entirely inclusive and encouraging environment, meaning absolutely every kind of person with every kind of style, nationality, job, or age could go and lay flowers or pay their respects in any way they saw fit. It was a truly breathtaking scene at night, with the candles illuminating the piles of brightly coloured flowers, the Ritzy's "Our Brixton Boy" sign standing out on the main road. 







It was a weird week, what with the excitement of LCM mixed with the shock of losing Bowie, and then Alan Rickman only a few days later. Mocks were stressful, but its nice to know that after my art exam tomorrow I can really relax a little for the first time in a while. I hope you all have a good week - if you would like to read an article I wrote for Written Citizen about what Bowie meant to me, you can see it here.

24 comments:

  1. Ellie your film photographs are always so gorgeous and I'm constantly in awe of them! I also adore your outfit and your article about Bowie is beautifully written! Congratulations are finishing your exams too! x
    fashionismyfirstlanguage.blogspotg.ie

    ReplyDelete
  2. " I think the loss of Bowie really woke me up and made me realise that if you like something, do it - life's too short to do otherwise" - I whole-heartedly agree but wish it didn't take the loss of such an incredible and influential performer to make me realise this truth

    secret-hipster.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too - it's so sad that I only realised after he's gone, it would have been lovely to share the inspiration he gave me while he was still with us. He will continue to inspire eternally I think though. <3

      Delete
  3. David Bowie Memorial is both awesome and sad :( xoxo


    www.thelittleenigma.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah its so beautiful and yet so upsetting that he's not there to see it. I'm sad i waited until his death to visit it and pay more tribute to him actually. <3

      Delete
  4. I love these photos and yes the recent deaths, although terribly sad, have also been an eye opener in that life's too short to worry what other think, always do what makes you happy x

    owlsinthesummer.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. 'I think the loss of Bowie really woke me up and made me realise that if you like something, do it - life's too short to do otherwise.' This is how I felt too! This This guy wrote about Lazarus and interpreted the scribbling scene as a warning to us to not hold back on expressing ourselves because we will eventually die
    your photos are beautiful! Especially the Bowie memorial. I need to make my pilgrimage
    Aida
    x

    This Kid Is Alright

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Aida!! also oh my god that's such a relevant idea - his point about starting to create instead of consume is something I definitely want to start living by!
      xx

      Delete
  6. Amazing pictures as always Elle, so much love from Colombia<3<3<3


    Moth And Poppy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, and so much love back !! <3

      Delete
  7. The photos are amazing, really make the post!

    Andrew | thatmck.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ugh, I've missed your blog and your aesthetic. Don't mind the crop of comments that are going to show up on almost everything from here back to November.
    1. Those shorts are amazing, I neeeeed more photos of your AA buys.
    2. The beret,cropped pants, creepers, rollneck combination is lethal. Love it, love it.
    3. You were actually the first person I thought of upon hearing about Bowie's death just because your writing and fan-girling of him first introduced me to all things Bowie. And "I think the loss of Bowie really woke me up and made me realise that if you like something, do it - life's too short to do otherwise." is so so important and crazy because these things only ever come to us when someone passes.

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ahh omg thank you girl!!!! that means the world. much love x

      Delete
  9. What do you take your pictures with? they're always so cool and film-y :p

    WonderGoth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! for these I used a disposable 35mm from Boots (most pharmacies sell them!) although for actual film photography I use a Zenit or an Olympus :D

      Delete
  10. your film photos are absolutely beautiful! xx

    Organic Hearts

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your blog! Would you mind checking out mine?

    Hellotwigs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very touching photos of the memorial
    xxx

    http://lornasharp.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. ¡Ellie your photographs are always so gorgeous! Hello from Spain๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š

    ReplyDelete
  15. I took a little break from blogging, and as I did that I forgot to read my favourite blogs at the same time. I bit stupid.. But gosh, I am probably gonna stay up till midnight to read back all your amazing, lovely blog posts. And LOVE these pictures and your little writing parts. Absolutely amazing <3

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou so much for your comment! I read each and every one and will try to answer any questions or queries as quick as I can ♡♡♡