I had the answers but now they mean nothing

Sunday 28 February 2016


Happy Sunday! It feels like I've been off school forever, so the thought of going back tomorrow is painfully daunting, especially as on Friday I have my second university interview. I'm excited to just see what happens now, though - I loved the last one I visited, and already love the one I'm going to on Friday, so I hope at least one likes my work and is willing to take me on for a foundation course. It'll be so nice to get to focus just on art/fashion for an entire year, and work out what my style and preferred techniques are. Anyway, after my ridiculously busy week I spent two days working and recovering from home, celebrated my friend's birthday, and then took the morning off today to visit a nearby vintage fair (I haven't been to one in ages and couldn't resist a browse). I wore a slight variation of an outfit I wore on Friday to go out...I am deeply sorry to my friends who had their pretty image slightly disrupted by the presence of a small ginger, wearing self-ripped jeans under a kilt. There's so much fun in wearing odd combinations.







I wore a vintage sparkley shirt under a silver vest (I cut it down to make it into a tie-front crop top - I get so much more wear out of it now I don't have loads of spare fabric to tuck in) with a huge crescent moon brooch to keep it in place as the shirt has no top buttons. The leopard jacket is also vintage, the jeans demolished at 3am a few weeks ago by yours truly; the skirt from Beyond Retro, shoes from Monki, and bag by The Whitepepper. I adore their cute accessories and felt this little pal was perfect vintage fair attire.







 I'm not 100% sure what inspired me to cut my jeans so much - I know it was at least partially (ok almost fully) down to Shinee's Key and Red Velvet...I cut the knees out before getting my ear pierced in september, as I needed some kind of new look to give me enough of a boost to get myself to the shop without chickening out...then before fashion week cut the whole thighs out and added some odd little squares at the ankles for no apparent reason. I just liked the thought of deconstructing something so common, and reducing it down to simply shreds of fabric that start to raise the question of whether they still count as jeans or not.







The fair itself was really good - a huge selection of amazing vintage jewellery and clothes, all displayed in a beautiful church in Hampstead. I hadn't been to a fair for ages and had forgotten just how much I love rummaging through and finding pieces, meeting interesting stall owners and getting distracted by everything shiny (I am a huge magpie when it comes to vintage jewellery, especially since I've been working at Hirst for over a year now). It wasn't the cheapest I've been to but that is also just because I am exceptionally tight with my money at the moment and refuse to buy anything that isn't a good deal...helpful, as I'm trying to save money for a summer holiday, but painful when you can't bring yourself to fork out for amazing items. I did buy a few really nice things though as I found a really well-priced stall or two. I'm sure you could have bartered the others down but I rarely do that...I feel like "I'm a student," isn't really a good enough excuse to ask for a discount at a fair unless in exceptional cases.








Yes that is a long red leather jacket...possibly the best purchase of my entire life. I couldn't resist the glittery resin earrings and the ring matched the coat...if you've been reading my blog for a while you probably already know just how much I ADORE matching.
Anyway, on a little side note, and a flashback to fashion week...I work at a vintage jewellery shop, and one of my bosses, Shirley Hirst, designs and makes jewellery by hand, including this pair that I wore to LFW back in 2014. They are absolutely fascinating and unique, and Joseph bought some, along with a selection of our vintage Lea Stein brooches, for their London Fashion Week A/W16 show! I'm really excited about it just as their are so many amazing pieces in our shop and Shirley's designs deserve so much recognition as they are so intricate and fascinating...here are a few photos from the Joseph show, with our jewellery being used!



It was such a shock of a collection - I always have associated Joseph with a sleek, stylish look, often monochromatic, with a play on silhouette as it's main feature (see: A/W14-15) however this season saw a collection of asymmetrically buttoned jackets, vibrant colours, stripes, checks, patterns, huge knits and loose threads, all bundled onto the models but somehow in a very interesting and well-composed way. The collection was centred around the theme of celebrating individuality, and not only was this evident, but also a real compliment to Shirley as I felt her pieces suited the concept so well, as they are such unique pieces created by a fascinating individual. I hope to see more of her work getting the recognition they deserve!  (show photos from Vogue.com)
I hope you all have a lovely week!

25 comments:

  1. Ahhh Ellie this is one of my favourites so far, you look so cool! I really like how you styled those ripped jeans with the skirt! Also, i wish I coul've strolled through the fair with you ;)
    xx

    http://teenapes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much!! and aw that's so lovely!!!

      Delete
  2. gah I looooove everything about this, the jeans are so sick! and they look rad with the skirt <3 you're the coolest! x

    http://britishmermaid.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore this outfit on so many levels! And that vintage fair looks like an absolute dream... (also, long red leather jacket *melts*)

    Love,
    Dominique

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!!!! ahh yes I just couldn't resist... ~(^-^)~

      Delete
  4. Good luck with your interview next Friday! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, but I'm sure you'll be amazing
    Those jeans are so cool- love the way you changed them for layering

    Also crushing on that vintage moon brooch- I do the same thing if a shirt is missing a button and I want to wear it all the way up!

    http://www.secret-hipster.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Adele! That reaally means the world - I am so grateful for your lovely comments always <3
      xxx

      Delete
  5. Okay, this entire look is way cool, I am in love with it. There's so much going on, but that's the best part about it!!!! It's so unique, I just am in awe at how cool it is. Good luck with your interview!!! I'm sure everything will fall into place!!! Also, that vintage fair looks like they have so many cool/fun things!!!! I definitely need to go to one of those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! Means the world ahhh !

      Delete
  6. I wish I could come with you and go shopping on fairs too ! haha
    Not so many over there ...

    xx
    http://lornasharp.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aw no!! you will have to come visit heehe!

      Delete
  7. Love you outfit, such a cute bag :)

    xx Alyssa
    visionsofnyc.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ellie your gorgeous outfits never cease to amaze me, there's so many amazing things going on with it! Good luck with your interview and that vintage fair looks spectacular! x
    fashionismyfirstlanguage.blogspot.ie

    ReplyDelete
  9. yesssssss red velvet's style is everything i love !!!! personally i prefer their ice cream cake mv clothes they're so adorable i just can't

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!!!!! <3 <3 yes the light up coats YES YES

      Delete
  10. We could never pull this off but think you look insane! Love how you layered the skirt and the jeans as well as the blocky and imperfect holes in your trousers as they look so cool :)
    Feel free to check out our latest post x
    LOOK LOVE WEAR

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Ellie! love your blog, and this post. Fashion week looked like a hoot.. aah! Just wondering if you have like a blog roll, like a list/s of your favourite blogs? I would love to read some more blogs but literally have no idea where to start! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! and on my sidebar on the right, at the bottom after popular posts is my list of favourite blogs! I hope that helps <3 xxx

      Delete
  12. I ADORE this look ! and your fashion of course~
    I posted on this jean fashion look from Red Velvet's 'Dumb Dumb' promotions and totally fell in love!

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou so much for your comment! I read each and every one and will try to answer any questions or queries as quick as I can ♡♡♡