you want a new world too

Friday 1 September 2017


Keeping this blog properly again is so weird given the way blog-reading and people's media habits have changed since I started. 2013/14 saw such a surge in the whole, "teen blogger" trend and it seemed like everyone and their dog had a few blogs they loyally read every time they posted. I remember checking back almost daily to see whether some of my favourites had uploaded something new. 
It seems the rise of things like instagram have really stripped this excitement away...the latest post is instantly on your feed, you can flick through a few photos of their latest outfit immediately, and suddenly you have lost interest in sitting down to see the whole post on their website. It's a weird shift but I think it replicates that of the shift in magazine reading...if you can pick and choose what articles to read as they pop up daily on your twitter feed, why would you spend money to buy a print issue?
That being said, it's nice to see people are still keeping blogs running. It's so sad seeing just how many people have dropped off the radar, even those who were extremely successful a few years back. As hard as it was to update regularly during my foundation course, to give up completely on this site (which I've been working on for literally 6 years) just seems so sad. I don't like abandoning things. 






These photos were taken whilst on a sort of recovery summer holiday in Wales...London got a bit too much and after a minor stress-out, wandering along the seafront was really needed. It was nice getting back to spending ages getting ready and taking photos again; I forgot how much I actually enjoy producing content for this page (and having creative control). Also wales is beautiful.

I also have some new work up on XXY Magazine - a portrait series called "The Reality of London," where myself and Heather Glazzard aimed to capture the real people who walk the city's streets. Below are some published shots as well as some archive portraits along the same theme.








You can see the full piece on XXY Magazine here. I adore taking portraits so for me it was literally the dream assignment. I also have more of my photography work (my entire portfolio if you will) on my website here.

Have a lovely weekend!

18 comments:

  1. I completely agree with what you've said, I religiously would read so many peoples blogs and now I have no idea where they've gone! I'm like you, in the past 4 years I've had many a break from blogging but I refuse to abandon what I've spent so many years creating, even if I don't have a large impact, the small impact I have means a lot to me.
    The shots from your portrait series are wonderful, especially the tones of the last shot how the orange really compliments her skin tone, amazing!

    Lucy Jane | Infinity of Fashion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! yeah it is so sad to see others abandon such lovely little archives of work! I agree so much with impact - it's more about having a personal space rather than a business!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Also completely feel you on the 'teen blogger' scene. I long for the days where we used to religiously comment on everyone's posts. It was so special and tight knit! So happy to see you're still posting x

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much Lexi! so pleased to see you're still in the little blogging sphere yourself - I really miss that loyalty of always checking your favourites pages! I'm really getting back into it myself x

      Delete
  3. Gorg photos as usual! And I sooo get you about the 'feel' of blogger and how it's changed - and I've only had it for three years, but it's only recently become like you said - finding faves and commenting on their posts as soon as they're out etc! It feels so old-school and special and it's sick to be a part of it tbh. I think everyone should continue blogging! It has so much more depth than other platforms like instagram. Great post!! Xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I really agree it's a completely different environment to general social medias...you really feel like you know people! xx

      Delete
  4. Where have you been all my life??? You are stunning jaysus *-*

    ReplyDelete
  5. So nice to find your blog and see that you're reviving it!! Such beautiful photos <3 I agree, blogging seems so dangerously on the edge of irrelevant now - I think one of the main hurdles is that it's actually really hard to just stumble across a blog, you kind of need to go searching for them. But maybe that makes it more special? idk - keep doing what u do babe xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much! I really agree - but it does feel so exciting when you do find one! x

      Delete
  6. Hi, it's always nice read a new post on your blog. I read rose and vintage since i found out your interwiew on Company magazine during my holiday in London. I immediately fell in love with your blog, it was such an inspiration and the posts were always interesting ! Yes the world of new media is changed and every time i open instagram i find a thousand teenager trying to be influencer or blogger and post the same photo, the same contents, and this is really sad and bored. Instead you are always you, you have your style,your own ideas, you don't follow the mass. Keep doing what you love, beacuse is amazing !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SO MUCH and honestly that means the world to me - I will keep going and I hope to continue producing content you like! Thank you endlessly for reading x

      Delete
  7. I absolutely love the combination of that location and your outfit, you look amazing Ellie! What is that place in Wales called? I should travel more ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SO much angel! This place was St David's!

      Delete
  8. Loveee these photos b, really amazing portraits; did you use film? Totally understand what you mean about how the blogging scene has changed. I've been blogging for like 4/5 years now and it feels like everyone has just given up with blogging. I kinda hate that all these bloggers have moved across to instagram, it's not the same at all and you just don't get the story and writing behind everything? Glad to see you haven't given up on your blog <3
    www.lexiealexandra.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much! Yes - I shoot almost everything in film it just comes out so well! I agree with you so much about the way its changing...hopefully we can keep it going! x

      Delete
  9. I absolutely adore these pictures and your style!

    You're right about this sudden shift in the blogging world and I'm gonna be honest, as someone who barely started with her fashion blog, it's super scary. I'm not willing to give up though, hopefully at least some people will decide to read my little blog!

    xx Mara
    http://www.maracalli.ro

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou so much for your comment! I read each and every one and will try to answer any questions or queries as quick as I can ♡♡♡